Wednesday, April 18, 2012

practising for the TOEFL

Teaching is one of the most challenging and rewarding jobs. A teacher is a figure that follows the development of a person since childhood. In our Society it is crucial that, from the youngest ages to College, a teacher represents a respected figure even inside a family. His/Her opinion and ability to judge the profit of a student should therefore be taken in great consideration.
Of course not everybody is capable of meeting these expectations, and in our social system, it is equally possible to find good teachers as well as bad teachers. The statement proposed here says that the ability to relate to a student is more important than the knowledge of the subject being taught. Well, in my opinion this is totally true.
From the early years of my life, I had a figure very close to me, which shines above other teachers in my memories. This figure is like a recurrent Character throughout my entire career.
For example during my 5 years of elementary school I was particularly affectionate to my Italian literature teacher, and when moved to lower school I wrote about her in my first Italian essay. With that composition and the wonderful description I made of my previous teacher, my next Italian teacher followed and stimulated my writing skills so closely that for 3 years we had a unique and wonderful mentor-student relationship.
At high school level the same role was covered from my mathematical teacher, and my passion for sciences was therefore grown from his constant pushing me toward success. Now I am happily graduated with a doctoral degree in Biomedical Sciences.
 I still thank and remember those 3 critical figures in my learning process and I thank them for the excellent knowledge they passed to me, in addition to their humanity.
 Surely I remember also the other bad teachers that were not able to nobilite their profession with listening and sacrifice. I am pretty sure that the best reward for any teacher at any level is, and will always be, the fact that one of their students is able to live a life full of their thoughts and never-ending advices. A feeling that resemble a little bit a director of orchestra, who, after the final musical note, is submerged by the energy of a loud, grateful applause.

1 comment:

  1. "a teacher`s ability to relate to students is more important than excellent knowledge of the subject being taught"
    I totally agree...

    ReplyDelete